Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tiered Storage

I have setup so many tiered storage models for different companies that it has become a one week activity. Why are tiered storage models important? They tell you that they save money, align the data with the appropriate storage based on business requirements (which change over time) and get the best use out of your resources.

In reality they cost money. At least from my experience. I think they are a money maker. I have gone in and created these models, identified gaps and guess what.....those gaps get filled with technology that is purchased. I need to be selling this stuff too. The storage organizations created them to make money.

I do though, think they are necessary. In the past everyone threw the best disk at everything, costing a lot of money. Most applications can run on lowered tiered storage like Clariion. I have moved entire data centers to Clariion (some tiered storage strategy that was) with no issues.

One problem with tiered storage models is not creating the application which takes in requirements and auto-assigns. This is necessary. Guess what, I do that to. I can drop in a company for a short term gig and save them money. Or cost.

No comments: