Thursday, December 4, 2008

EMC RecoverPoint and F5 Load balancers = 5 minute failover across the world

The new version (3) of RecoverPoint started as a pain in the ass. I did the upgrade myself and the RecoverPoint appliances we were using didnt have enough memory. It took many crashes (and 1 server outage) before we figured this out. I figured it out by running a TOP and watching the memory.

After upgrading the memory these things work.

The product itself is a great DR solution. It creates point in time snaps of SQL, Exchange, etc.

My solution is replicating our Virtual Machines boot volumes. This means that if a server in the hosting site goes down, we can immediately power up the target server and it has all of the exact same data because we are also replicating the boot volume.

You may ask, ya, but it if it has the same IP address, wont there be an issue? My solution to that is to use F5 load balancers (global). This allows clients to point to the F5 and the F5 to understand which side is up, local or remote. Seemless failover in under 5 minutes across the world. I bet you cant do that.

The new RecoverPoint GUI is very nice, but the order in which you do things is much different. Basically backwards.

I will say that in any company that I have to do DR Strategy in the future, RecoverPoint will definitely on the top of my list. Storage agnostic and easy to use.

No comments: