Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SANPulse

Over the many years of doing data center migrations, tech refreshes, data migrations, tiering, increasing utilization, etc.  I have always imagined a tool that could perform these manual tasks.

When vendors like EMC, HP, IBM, etc. normally go in and do data migrations, they do it manually.  Send in a bunch of heads and manually write scripts to do the migration.  I have managed similar efforts with and without the storage vendors.  They suck.

No situation is the same, of course, but the similarities are never used to your advantage.  Every migration is different so every data migration is written, basically, from scratch.  The vendors don't care as they are billing per/hour for heads.

This year is a big year for consolidations/migrations.  As companies merge, go out of business, cut costs or take advantage of low cost infrastructure, the need to move data around the data center becomes critical.

I have been talking with a couple people from SANPulse technologies.  Some of them actually worked in the same organization that I was a part of which did data/data center migrations.  They created a product which I could only imagine years ago.

You can read their white papers on their website: http://sanpulse.com 

This takes all of the manual headache out of migrating data.  From what I gather it offers the ability to see the environment, make changes, migrate data and report the results up to management.

I don't see how anyone could do a data migration without this in the coming months.  I think they will continue to be successful.  I suggest you read their stuff if you are a migrator.

I am a migrator.

No comments: